Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Early detection saved my life.....

12-4-07
This year has been the worst and the best at the same time....crazy, I know. But that's my life for ya... Kayla turned 10 years old in January!! 10!! No, I can't even believe that and it happened right before my eyes!! In March, I thought I was having a heart attack in the middle of teaching a group of 1st graders. Horrifying!!! Ends up, I just had a gallbladder problem and had to have it removed. In May, Raymond and I celebrated our 12 year anniversary with a RAD 80's party!! It was like totally awesome dude!! June 5th, Raymond had his 4th surgery on his knee from his accident in '04. Still recovering from that. BUT in July, Karley had a HUGE birthday.. on 07-07-07 she turned 7!!!! She had 7 friends over and we had a party!! Dress up make up, the whole "7" yards!! Ha! At the end of July I was hospitalized with a severe kidney infection that had gone systemic....meaning it went through my blood stream and I had to be on antibiotics through the IV for a week. The worst pain I had ever been through and I have been through a lot of pain in my life. Then in August the girls and I started back to school and work. Kayla is in 5th Grade and Karley is in 2nd Grade. And as of current, they are having a fantastic year!! In September, I had to quit my job because I had some emotional issues that I couldn't control. See, 2 years ago, I had to have an emergency hysterectomy for severe endometriosis. That sucked! So, since, I have been on Hormone replacement therapy to help with menopause. Well, back in July while I was in the hospital, I wasn't given my meds in the hospital. Crazy huh? Well, I had to double dose my meds to catch up and make myself somewhat normal. Well, I was a wreck in the meantime. For that, I didn't want to make a scene anymore than I already had! So, I quit. In Oct, I had my yearly check up and as usual, went in without my dignity, lost that a long time ago! I had some pain on my right breast, which the doctor was sure was a strained muscle. But to be sure, he sent me in for a mammogram. Of course, I sighed saying "FINE!" even though I just had my last mammogram in Nov '06 and it was fine. My check up was on Oct 1. From Oct. 8-12 we spent a week in Mexico with the best friends ever! We had so much fun, we can't wait to do it again!! The Monday we got back from Mexico, I had my mammogram. There were a few spots that were of interest to them, only they were on my left side. On Oct 31 I had a biopsy done and on Nov 2, the doctor called with the news. Stage 1 breast cancer. I've had an MRI, blood work and medicine changes. And then there was Thanksgiving. Raymond and I made our very first turkey!! We have always been somewhere when someone else makes the food. It was great!! This is now were I get nervous. On Dec. 5th I am having a bi-lateral (double) mastectomy. 8-10 months of reconstruction. But if anything, I am getting that boob job Raymond has always wanted me to get!!!! Just not this way!! Girls, if I had not been so diligent on having my annual exam done, we would have never found this. Early detection saves lives. I am 32 years old and am going to be a survivor of breast cancer because early detection saved my life. Please, Please, Please, do yourself a favor and do your monthly self breast exam. I have a fantastic support system in my family and my friends. You all have no idea how blessed I am to have you. I love you and want you to know that I AM going to be around for a long time to do my best to make you laugh......hard....until you pee your pants!!

0 comments: